Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Lip Piercing and Receeding Gums

Hello all!

It has been a powerpacked day at the office, I've been busy with restorations and a root canal this morning. However, I managed to sit down during my lunch period to quickly write an entry on this article on lip piercing and receeding gums which I saw on both webmd.com and the Toronto Star. The few patients that I see who have lip piercings, are often associated with some recession, trauma, or inflammation in the gum areas near the piercing. This article noted that:

About 41% of those with pierced lips had receding gums. That's much higher than the 7% rate seen in those with unpierced lips. (From webmd.com)

What I try to do with my patients is advise them on the risks, without getting on the soapbox.

Well, I'm off to eat my lunch. Have a great day all and take care! :)

Hans Skariah, B.Sc., DMD