Just wanted to give some dental resolutions that could be implemented with a little effort to ensure a great smile for the New Year:
- Brush 2 minutes twice a day...yes, I said 2 minutes (not 1 minute or 30 seconds or once a day). It really does take that long to clean the majority of surfaces your mouth decently.
- Floss...yes, I know you tend to do it before dental appointments. However, 40% of your teeth are not being cleaned if you don't do it and a substantial percentage of cavities start in those areas
- Clean your tongue. I would say 95% of patients don't do this. A couple of quick swipes on the tongue is usually enough.
- Reduce your intake of candies/sweets: it will reduce the incidence of cavities, improve your blood sugar and weight.
- Drink more water. In moderation, this a great thing, especially after staining drinks like coffee, tea and wine. Want to reduce all that coffee/tea stain between hygiene appointments? Take a sip or two of water after you finish your drink.
- Regular maintenance appointments. Seeing your Doc/Hygienist for a checkup and scaling is truly the dental version of the oil change. Prevention is always the best option.
- Get things fixed while they are small (don't procrastinate). Dentistry seemingly operates on an exponential cost scale as things get more involved and complex. Getting a restoration that costs a couple of hundred dollars (and is usually covered by insurance) is much better for you and your pocketbook than letting it turn into a multi-thousand dollar root canal/core/crown or implant
Again, all the best for the New Year! :) We will be back to normal operations on Wednesday Jan 4.
Hans Skariah, B.Sc., DMD
Promenade Court Dental Health Group in Mississauga
2233 Hurontario St., Mississauga, ON, Canada
(1/2 km north of the QEW in the Dome Building)