Thursday, March 17, 2005

Teeth Trauma in Ontario Common in Teens

Hello friends,

Been a slow day with a couple of cancellations so I decided to write a blurb on a study revealing an alarming number of injuries to front teeth. Nearly one in five teenagers shows some evidence of trauma. Based on my experience, most of these are related to sports (hockey and baseball notably). Personally, I truly believe in wearing a sport guard at *every* athletic endevour. It would definitely cut down on the substantial future expense of repairing these injuries for a lifetime.

Some quotes from the Medical News Today article:

Overall, 18.5 per cent of the teens - almost one in five - showed evidence of tooth damage; six per cent exhibited severe damage with teeth broken or knocked out.

They also found that youth who had problems with cavities also tended to have tooth injuries.

I have to admit that I did not expect the number to be that high...truly stunning.

I'm off until Monday, so until next week, take care and have a great weekend! :)


Hans Skariah, B.Sc., DMD